Thursday, January 24, 2013

Is earning a degree online right for me?

Before you sign up for online classes, it's important to assess if online learning is right for you.  With enough dedication, online learning can work for anyone; but here are a few questions to ask yourself before you enroll....

1. Am I motivated?

It is very easy to slack off in online courses!  You need to be on top of your assignments and due dates to make sure you get things accomplished.  There is no professor sitting in front of you to make sure you learn the material, and if you can't keep yourself motivated you are going to have problems.

2. What do I need to get out of my education?

Before paying for a degree, you should have an idea of where you want to go and how this degree will help you.  This will help you find schools and programs that will fit your needs.

3. How much time do I want to commit to school right now?

If you're unsure if online learning is right for you or you have limited time available, try taking one course to test how it goes.  Juggling multiple courses online can be difficult, and if you're unsure you have the time for a full course load; start one at a time.  

4. What can I gain in an online program vs. on-campus?

You probably know the answer to this one, but it's important to consider.  Online learning has some distinct advantages over on-campus programs, and on-campus programs also have their distinct advantages.  I can rave all day long about how great online learning has been for me, but you need to assess your personal goals and which environment is a better fit for you!

5. How will I pay for my education?

It's important to consider this up-front.  Just like on-campus learning, the costs of online programs vary wildly!  Yes, online students qualify for financial aid (I will do a whole post on this later) and yes, the GI bill can pay for online classes.  But you need to consider the costs before you enroll.

No comments:

Post a Comment